Follow your passion and live your best life, sounds simple doesn’t it?
But what about if you have been giving to your career and giving to your family and your interests have been pushed to the side and you’ve lost touch with your life passion?
Do you find yourself asking,
what is it that I used to love doing?
This is so common, especially for women who are really incredible givers, and make other people their priority.
Equally it is also easy to fall into a routine that leaves you bored or unfulfilled.
When you are over fifty, often you have more time and you want to make the switch but you’re not sure what to do. Now is your time and you want to make the most of it!
These 14 Steps are designed to help you to follow your true life passion so that you feel happiness, fulfilment and a sense of purpose.
Knowing your purpose may motivate you to take on new adventures and projects that will challenge and inspire you. When you are powered by a clear purpose, there is little you cannot do.
1. WHAT INTERESTS DO YOU HAVE?
- What do you really love to do?
- Think about what interests you have (outside of work).
- Do you have any hobbies, or anything you immerse yourself in?
- Is there anything that you do and the time just flies by?
Perhaps you like spending time with family, doing a particular hobby or travelling?
If you currently have hobbies, could you expand on them and get more involved so they take more of a centre stage in your life?
2. IS THERE ONE THING YOU LOVE TO DO?
- Is there any one pastime you consistently want to do?
- If you have free time is there is one activity that you always want to try and fit in?
If you feel really disappointed if you aren’t able to do something, then it could be your passion.
3. WHAT DO YOU READ ABOUT?
- If you are a reader, what are your favourite types of books?
- Is there one topic that you like to read about more than any other?
- Are there types of books that you cannot put down?
- What subject could you read 500 books about without getting bored?
If you find yourself reading for hours about a specific subject, then it may be your passion.
4. WHAT ARE YOU NATURALLY TALENTED AT?
- Is there anything you are naturally great at already?
If you find that you are really good at something that you have never trained in, then maybe that is your true calling.
You don’t have to be good at something though for it to be your passion.
5. WHAT ARE YOUR SKILLS AND STRENGTHS?
- Finding your ‘why’ doesn’t mean reinventing yourself.
- Sometimes it means being true to the strengths and skills that you already possess.
- What problems do you really enjoy solving?
- What problems do you feel passionate about trying to solve?
Too often we undervalue our skills, strengths and areas of expertise that we have naturally acquired over time.
Have you noticed that we are often good at doing things that we enjoy?
6. WHEN DO YOU FEEL A GREAT SENSE OF VALUE?
- Is there anything you currently do in your life that gives you a great sense of value or purpose?
- Possibly something you feel driven and motivated to find out more about?
If there is a task or activity that gives you an overwhelming sense of purpose, this is a perfect place to start to determine if it is a life passion.
7. WHAT GETS YOU EXCITED?
- What makes you feel excited and enthusiastic?
- Can you feel your eyes lighting up when you talk about it?
This could be a life passion.
8. IF THE IDEAS ARE NOT FLOWING TRY REMEMBERING...
- What you loved doing as a child?
- Did you love to draw or write stories?
Try to remember the activities that you enjoyed during your childhood.
9. THEN PROGRESSING THROUGH YOUR LIFE...
- What hobbies did you enjoy doing before life got in the way?
- Would you enjoy those activities now?
Cast your mind back through your memories to help you to tap into your true life passion.
10. YOU HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT...
- Yourself in the present and the past. Now could you close your eyes and allow your thoughts to come through about your future.
- When you visualise your life with no restrictions like finances, work, location etc, what does your life look life?
- What do you see yourself spending your time doing?
11. IMAGINE YOURSELF GETTING UP EARLY...
You jump out of bed very excited. You dress quickly, full of enthusiasm about your day. The sun is shining and you take those first steps out of your bedroom. Now ….
- Where do you see yourself going?
- What are you going to do?
- Why do you feel so excited?
12. IN YOUR VISUALISATION ...
- Are your priorities different to what they are now?
- Have you maybe let some things go that you are doing now, to allow more space for doing other things you enjoy more?
Our world is full of expectations and some people are busy doing things that don’t really matter. Think about filling your life with things that are important to you.
13. WHAT CAN YOU SEE YOURSELF...
- Doing for say five years?
- Without getting paid? (remember there are no limitations on your vision)
14. HAVE YOU REACHED ANY CONCLUSIONS?
- Is there anything that you just can’t imagine not doing in your life?
If so that is your life passion.
You may have more than one, there is no limit on what fulfils you and gives you a sense of purpose and happiness.
If when you think about it, it makes you smile, then you’ve probably got it xx
FINDING YOUR PASSION IS A JOURNEY
It may be that you need to just keep putting yourself out there, be positive and open minded, try new things, meet new people and have new experiences. Then opportunities that you could not even imagine may present themselves.
If you would like to meet over Fifty’s who have things in common, are like minded and can help you follow your passion please join our Nifty over Fifty group.